Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How Ye Ought To Answer

Colossians 4:5-6
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without,
redeeming the time.
Let your speech be alway with grace,
seasoned with salt,
that you may know how ye ought to answer every man.


A few weeks ago I heard these verses read, and they really stuck with me. I read them over and over, pondering them each time. And the parts of "redeeming the time" and "that you may know how ye ought to answer every man" really jump out. I have found myself in so many situations where the conversation is about something I feel strongly about, yet it goes beyond my ability to converse intelligently quite soon. Abortion, modesty, creation, God and the Bible in general, for example. All are things I think I know so much about, yet when I'm talking with somebody about it, I realize I know hardly anything. And then here are these verses that tell us to know how to answer people. There is another verse that says something similar.

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be ready always to give an answer
to every man that asketh you a reason
of the hope that is in you
with meekness and fear:

"Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh of you" Well, I'm usually not ready, because I don't have an answer. I never thought through WHY I believed what I did.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.

We can interpret this verse to mean to study the Word of God, but we also need to study the world around us. So we know the Truth, inside and out, by seeing what is truth (God's Word) and what is false (the world).

Specifically I am challenged to study the issues of my day, that I view from God's stand point. But to give an intelligent argument I need to know the other side, so I can counter it with the Truth. But I also need to speak with grace. Not condemning someone for their belief, but in Christ's Love sharing the truth. In so doing I am redeeming the time for God's Kingdom.

No comments: