Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Not Giving Up

Kind of a strange name for this post, but its what I am doing at this very moment. I am not giving up. On what? This new little baby lamb who was born yesterday and somehow got milk replacer down in his lungs. Mom woke me up this morning asking Daddy why the lamb was kicking all over the box. And Daddy said he had swallowed some milk wrong last night, and then again when he was fed at 3 am. Well, I am sick and tired of losing lambs, so I jumped out of bed and began willing this guy to live. I've been thumping his poor ribs, trying to get the milk out, and holding his head down, hoping he can breath. There are moments when I think he's almost dead, and then I really get moving. I do not want this guy to suffer, but I also don't want him to die. I care about my lambs to much for that.
This year we thought we wouldn't get any lambs, because the time between when we bred them and when they should have lambed was over and done with. May to January is just a little long of a gestation cycle. But then on Sunday we were surprised to have 2 lambs out at the farm. They looked good, but the next day the one had died, and the other we brought to town, cause he needed some help stating to nurse. He is back with his mom, and looking really good.
And yesterday there was another little ram born, and he looks Big! And again last evening Daddy discovered triplets! 2 rams and 1 ewe! The mother claimed them all, but was only letting one ram nurse. So we had the 2 others in town overnight. Daddy is trying to see if the mother will take the ewe back. And you already know about the other ram.
When Daddy had told me the sheep weren't going to lamb this time around, I just looked at them and said 'No way, their to fat not to lamb'. And though it looked very unlikely we'd have any this winter, just look at them now! I've got 5 lambs, and more on their way in the very near future! I am not giving up!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Don't slam on his ribs! Hold him by the back feet and swing him towards the ceiling, then down between your legs. This forces whatever is in the lungs, up and out. I have done this several times. It works! It doesn't seem like it's very nice, but it's better than being dead!

Cynthia said...

too late, he died while Anika and I were out rescuing his sister from their mom. :( :( :(